Our Hand Wash Rug Cleaning Methods
Don’t take a chance with your valuable Oriental rug. Let the experts at Mark Gonsenhauser’s Rug and Carpet Superstore clean it for you! We offer professional hand wash rug cleaning services for all types of area rugs, including contemporary area rugs, fine Oriental & Persian carpets, antique rugs as well as rugs made from wool, silk, cotton and man-made materials.
To preserve your rug’s beauty and value, we recommend that you periodically have your rug professionally cleaned. A professional washing will bring out the richness of color and softness of the fibers and will help preserve the life of your rug and it’s quality. Depending on the amount of foot traffic and any other factors such as pets, spills, and soiling, we recommend cleaning your rugs every 3-5 years.
Area rugs can not be cleaned thoroughly while in your home; they should be taken to a professional rug cleaning facility because of the specialized equipment needed and steps used to clean and dry your rugs properly. We maintain a state-of-the-art, in-house rug cleaning plant in Virginia Beach and we use the very latest, up-to-date cleaning products and equipment that are approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI). Our specialized hand wash rug cleaning process has several comprehensive stages so you can be assured that your delicate, priceless rug is in good hands with us.
Types of Rug Cleaning Methods Offered
Prior to cleaning, we perform a detailed inspection of your rug’s foundation, knots, fringe, colors, patterns, pile fiber and pile density. We look for hidden stains and worn areas that may need repair as well as test each rug for colorfastness prior to determining a cleaning process. Once we know the overall condition of your rug and its construction we will be able to determine the best cleaning process for your rug and also offer recommendations on repairs if needed.
Water Wash: This is our most meticulous wash. Hand wash rug cleaning is used for antique and fragile rugs. In this process your rug is vacuumed, scrubbed, shampooed and then thoroughly rinsed. We use a special pH balanced rug shampoo to thoroughly scrub your rug. Your rug is then rinsed and extracted to remove any residue and water from your rug. We then hang your rug to dry on our specially built drying poles. Please allow approximately 10 days for this process. Express cleaning service is available for an additional charge.
Area Rug Dry Cleaning: This process is recommended for 100% silk rugs and some mercerized cotton rugs.
Watch our short video to learn more about the rug cleaning process and see our rug cleaning methods!
Additional Rug Cleaning Services:
- Pet Stain Removal – Read more about our exclusive pet urine extraction service.
- Rug Deodorizing – We apply a clean and fresh scent to your rug after it has been shampooed.
- Moth Proofing Your Rug – This treatment is a commercial grade moth spray that is a deterrent to moth infestation for up to a year.
- Stain Proofing Your Rug – After shampooing your rug we apply a stain guard that helps liquids to remain on the surface while you quickly blot up the spill.
- Heavy Dusting – Dry Soil & Dust Removal (For heavy soil buildup in your rug) – Foot traffic dirt and fine dust is tracked into your home and this dirt gets trapped in the bottom of the pile of your rug and acts as an abrasive file to the wool which causes wear and damage. We have a very effective dry dirt and dust removal treatment using our very own special process. When you bring your rug in for cleaning, we will inspect your rug for excessive dirt in the pile and recommend our dry soil removal / heavy dusting service if needed.
- Rug Fringe Cleaning & Repair – This service is performed by hand using a special fringe brush and extra care is taken with a special non-bleach brightener to remove dirt and stains and brighten your fringes.
- Rug Storage – We carefully moth proof and wrap your rugs before storing them in our climate controlled storage area. Your rugs are fully insured while on our premises.
- Wrap for storage – We can wrap your rug securely for storage using our specially designed plastic rug sleeves.
- Wet Rug Restoration After Flooding – If your hot water heater floods your home or any other water event soaks your floors, a wet, soaked rug can easily be picked up by our Pick up and Delivery Service and returned to you restored. Just give us a call at 757-333-1010 and we will take care of the rest!
To have your rug cleaned, you may either bring it by our rug cleaning facility in Virginia Beach or we can arrange to have it picked up for an additional charge. Your rug will be inspected for any obvious or hidden stains and any areas of wear. After we have evaluated your rug, we will gladly give you suggestions for restoration and repairs if needed. While on our premises your rug is fully insured against fire and theft.
Please contact our Cleaning and Repair Department at 757-333-1010 for an estimate on rug cleaning and repair or to schedule a pickup.
Rug Cleaning Service Area
Proudly serving all of the Hampton Roads area; Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg. We also pick-up and deliver to parts of the Eastern Shore and Northeast North Carolina.